20 March 2006

Do Nothing!

Last night, my youngest son, Michael, just had a hard time getting to sleep. He's been battling a cold lately, and laying down was hard on his breathing. So I went over to pick him up and hold him upright. He liked that, and he was asleep again in no time.

Then I tried putting him back down. No dice. He didn't like that. He woke up again. I held him a while longer, but a twenty-pound kid really starts to weigh on you (literally). I decided to sit down and hold on to him.

As soon as I sat down, he woke up again. Now I was stuck. I had to hold him, but I couldn't sit down and do it. Oh well. That's what you sign on for when you're a dad, I guess. So I did it for about 30 minutes, until my back and legs really started to ache. I couldn't really feel my arms much, so they weren't too bad.

Finally, I had an epiphany. What if he wasn't complaining about his nose after all? I checked his diaper, and he needed it to be changed. Once I did that, I put him down and he was out in ten seconds.

And I'm supposed to be an old pro at this, huh? It just goes to show you that you never know anything when it comes to raising kids. You just try not to make the same mistakes too often.

No comments: